As we are now in the New Year, I’d like to take this chance to wish everybody a Happy and Prosperous New Year from myself and everybody at Can Cubs! At Can Cubs it’s been an industrious year, we've made sure it was by following this simple yet profound quote from Buddha “Fools wait for a lucky day, but everyday is a lucky day for an industrious man.” I like this quote, and it rings true for anybody who wants to make something of themselves or their business. Here are my five personal highlights from this year at Can Cubs:
- During Easter, we held an outdoor event in the local park, it was a beautiful warm sunny day, and we organised Easter egg hunts and other Easter games and activities. The children loved it! For many, it was the first time they had experienced the joy of Easter.
- Our Summer Camp was booked up almost instantly with repeat customers from the previous year, the children couldn’t wait and the parents knew that their children would be taken care of well. Plenty of unforgettable memories forged in that time. The children participated in a large variety of activities (English, fencing, archery, drama, martial arts, natural science, games, sports, art & crafts) and it was great to see them all develop well throughout the camp!
- Halloween was another one of those events that booked up instantly with repeat customers from the previous year. I knew how to make this kind of event special, because I once had a part-time job in my earlier life working in a ‘Real Haunted House’! Of course I keyed the scary parts down a little though! We had an array of pumpkins, halloween decorations, smoke and music - combining with our session content and the children being dressed up, it was another unforgettable night!
- A visit from Santa at Christmas is a must for all children! We made sure that happen! We put a lot of effort into making sure it would be the best possible Christmas for our members - and fortunately it was! We had a Santa’s Grotto, themed art and craft tables, a Christmas session, games, crackers, food, snacks and Christmas drinks, gift exchanges, & Christmas disco! We invested a lot into it, but hearing the testimonials afterwards, it was well worth it.
And the rest!
- Of course throughout the year (when not holding seasonal events) there are always days that are unforgettable in our Little Cubs & Prime Cubs sessions for the children and staff at Can Cubs. However I’d be writing all day if I tried to summarise the 100 + sessions I’ve taught this year! Quite simply, they've been prodigious.
Much of the photos and videos of the above can be found here in the gallery.
We have made strides in other parts of Can Cubs outside of our sessions, and these include:
2018 saw the release of our Little Cubs Preschool Workbooks and Prime Cubs English books. Not to mention, a fun collection of short stories featuring Can Can bear also! The children have actively engaged and enjoyed all of our literacy material. We have seen strong development in our children’s language skills because of them.
Our Storytime channel has 70,000 views (at this time of writing), and that figure is going up and up. I’m glad that so many children have enjoyed listening to classic stories, many of those stories I loved when I was a child! We’ll be adding new Storytime videos shortly.
Our Pinterest channel features numerous boards where parents and children alike can learn something new on a variety of different topics (not just relating to education). With an average monthly view count of 11,421, our boards are bringing knowledge across the world!
For extra review of session content, we enabled parents to log in to our website and access the key english content to help cement knowledge from class at home. This feature has gone down well with our members, and links offline and online learning well.
So what lies in wait for this year at Can Cubs? Here are our five main goals for 2019:
- Provide a series of 46 downloadable videos to help children’s english reading skills.
- Develop an online learning platform/app where children can learn english in a fun way at home or out and about.
- Provide more sessions at our Can Cubs Centre in Shanghai, in particular having our Little Cubs members come twice a week.
- Coordinate cultural exchange trips in Nursery’s & Primary schools in the UK for our interested members in China.
- Provide high quality branded clothing to children.
As you can see, these goals will greatly enhance the brand of Can Cubs, and will expand our influence into other areas outside of our base in Shanghai. We hope that you can continue to support us in our journey and be a part of it all the way. We look forward to seeing you at Can Cubs very soon or if you’re a follower of our blog, I look forward to seeing you in my next post! Remember, be industrious this year and make your own luck!